Why has AIS-R chosen iPads as the device in grades 3-7?
AIS-R has selected iPads for students in elementary school and middle school for these reasons:
- Battery life: iPads have excellent battery life and should last all day without charging;
- Portability: iPads are light and compact and fit easily in student backpacks without adding significant weight or bulk;
- Apps: The App Store offers an abundance of apps for students in the education category and most are free;
- Availability: iPads are readily available in Riyadh, they can be easily repaired locally and many of our students already have one at home; 5) Productivity: iPads allow students to communicate, collaborate, research, write, publish, make movies, post to their blogs, draw, read and practice their math skills.
- Creativity: iPads provide students with a variety of opportunities to demonstrate and take ownership of their learning.
iPad requirements grades 3-7
The minimum requirement for iPad for new students is the iPad Air or iPad Mini 2. However, we are recommending families buy the most current release (currently iPad or iPad Mini 4) as we expect these devices to have the maximum usable life. A case and keyboard are required for all student iPads.
Why have we chosen laptops for Grade 8 and high school students?
When students begin high school, the amount of writing, typing and online research they need to do increases. While iPads can do most things students will need to do in high school, a laptop is more conducive to the learning platforms and assignments utilized in the high school. To prepare for high school and to ease student transition, we ask students to bring a laptop beginning in grade 8.
What kind of laptop is required in Grades 8 - 12?
Students can use any Mac or PC laptop they choose. iPads and other tablets are not acceptable in high school. We recommend the Macbook Air (either 11" or 13") as it is a lightweight and durable model available in Riyadh.
Any lightweight PC is appropriate for high school students. Jarir bookstore has a wide selection.